Sunday, December 7, 2014

Short's Brewery Snow Wheat



  Winter blends, that time of the year when everybody breaks out the spice rack and flavors their beer with cinnamon, cloves, and a multitude of other spices to make for some of the most complex tasting seasonal beers of the year. That fill your belly with beer to help you survive the winter type of season. No fun this is about survival. While I may be getting a little dramatic I find winter blends to be less enjoyable than other times of the year. Maybe it’s because I’m allergic to cinnamon, which prevents me from trying some of the best winter beers or that the stress of the season makes relaxing next to impossible.

  I will never give up on winter beers and today I’m reviewing one from Short’s Brewery. I was looking for a seasonal beer at my local store and saw a bottle with a guy skiing on it. It was called Snow Wheat and since I was looking for a seasonal beer to review I picked up a six pack for my wife and I to enjoy.

   I took my first taste of Snow Wheat and it was a crisp refreshing full flavored beer. It was a German Style beer, but halfway through my first sip I noticed an undertone of an interesting flavor that completely transformed and mellowed the beer out in a refreshing way. I took another sip and thought to myself, “It can’t be.” I got out my laptop, went to the Short’s Brewery website and sure enough, that unknown flavor that was holding this beer together from a flavor perspective was none other than Banana.

   I expected the taste of malted wheat and I even expected the taste of cloves, but this addition of banana was completely unexpected. Without the banana this beer would have been average at best but the banana helped it maintain a wonderful balance and is hands down the most refreshing winter seasonal beer I’ve ever tried. My wife drank her first bottle in silence, enjoying the taste experience on her own. It wasn’t till she finished the first bottle that she turns to me and says, “We need to get more of this.” I just nodded my head as I finish off my bottle.

   My wife and I both, were pleasantly surprised by the taste and balance of this beer. With an alcohol content of 4.5% and a clean refreshing taste I could see myself enjoying this throughout a Sunday while doing work or watching the game. I give this beer a solid 8.5 out of 10. I’m very impressed by this Michigan made beer. Now it’s time for me to grab another so until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment